Inverell General Cemetery is a large regional cemetery. It is divided into denominational as well as general portions and includes columbaria. A plan of the cemetery and its portions is exhibited at the entrance. Adequate parking is provided and the site is maintained in excellent condition by Council.
Inverell Cemetery was gazetted in 1863, possibly this site may have been used as a burial ground before this date. In 1902 a grass fire destroyed all the wooden railings, crosses, and most of the fencing. Some burial records, with plot and row numbers, were kept by the Churches, Undertakers, or the Cemetery Trust, however many of these early records have not survived.
The first batch of images were contributed by Errol Thorn, President of the Inverell Genealogical & Historical Society Inc. Subsequently, Joe Sharman has begun the photography of further portions. The list of inscriptions was compiled with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
Inverell Cemetery is 3km north-east of town via Byron Street and Ashford Road.
Inverell General Cemetery is administered by Inverell Shire Council. For further information, contact Council at PO Box 138, Inverell NSW 2360; phone 02 6728 8288; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
22 Oct 2011
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index