Young General cemetery was photographed in part by Ann Gardner in February 2011. Late in 2011, 15 Year 9 students at Young High School combined in a project to complete the work that Ann had begun. Listing, researching and uploading of the students' pictures is now complete. We wish to express our appreciation for the work of all parties involved in creating this significant historical record.
The results have been compared with a listing published in 1984 by the Heraldry & Genealogy Society of Canberra and it is obvious that during the intervening period of 28 years, a number of inscriptions have disappeared or possibly have been missed by our contemporaneous photographers. The details of these 'missing' inscriptions have been included here without, of course, any pictorial record.
The cemetery appears to have come into use in the mid-19th century, the earliest inscription found being dated 1856. Burials continue to the present day. However, the modern lawn cemetery adjoining has for some years received most of the burials. The cemetery, which is entirely monumental, has been laid out in denominational portions that include Anglican, Catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist, Uniting Church, Salvation Army, Seventh Day Adventist, Baptist and Brethren.
Unfortunately, many of the older monuments have suffered at the hands of vandals or from subsidence with fallen and broken stones appearing in many of our photographs. Generally speaking, however, the monuments are in good condition for their age, are upright and the inscriptions legible. The whole site is maintained in excellent condition by Young Shire Council.
Ann's and the students' images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.