Sydney Burial Ground; Sandhills; Brickfield
The Devonshire Street Cemetery (also known incorrectly as the Brickfield Cemetery or Sandhills Cemetery) was located between Eddy Avenue and Elizabeth Street, and between Chalmers and Devonshire Streets, at Brickfield Hill, in Sydney, Australia. It was consecrated in 1820. The Jewish section was used from 1832. By 1860, the cemetery was full (30,000), and it was closed in 1867. Devonshire St Cemetery was known in the 1860's and 1870's period as the Sydney Burial Ground.
In 1901, the cemetery was resumed to allow for the development of Central railway station, Sydney and representatives of deceased persons buried in the Devonshire Street cemetery were given two months to arrange for exhumation and removal of remains from the cemetery. All reasonable costs were borne by the Government of New South Wales. The remains that were unclaimed were relocated to a purpose-built cemetery named Bunnerong Cemetery. Remains that were claimed were transferred to a number of cemeteries as listed below. Bunnerong Cemetery, south of the city, had a tram line constructed to make the removal of re-casketed remains as simple as possible. Bunnerong Cemetery was next to the Botany Cemetery and, in the early 1970s, was absorbed by that cemetery to create the Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park. Some images "old glass plate" negatives courtesy of the Mitchell Library Sydney NSW Donated by Mr & Mr A G Foster were taken in 1901 and are freely available from the NSW archives website.
For a reasonably complete list of burials for the jewish faith see www.ajhs.com.au/jewishburials.html. Any burials listed or duplicated on this site have been obtained from other sources.
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index