Kempsey East cemetery occupies a large site off Naiooka St, South Kempsey. Earlier monumental sections have largely given way to extensive lawn sections which now occupy much of the site. There is a number of columbarium walls and an ashes garden area.
All denominational areas are clearly marked with row numbering also provided in the lawn areas. Inscriptions date from 1862. Almost all headstones are intact and clearly legible. Town water and toilet facilities are provided. The cemetery is maintained in good condition by Kempsey Shire Council
In cooperation with the local Dunghutti aboriginal community, Council has developed a memorial area within the cemetery to commemorate the many members of the aboriginal community who lie in unmarked graves. As well, many of these graves have now been marked with white wooden crosses which dominate some parts of the cemetery. Detailed information is available on Council's website - see URL below.
The digital images were taken by Ray Cork between January and May 2010. His images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. Ray also compiled the inscription list with reference to the NSW BDM online search facility and the Australian War Memorial Nominal Rolls for both WW1 and WW2 for additional information.
From the town centre take the Pacific Highway (Smith then Lord Sts) south for approximately 1.3km. Turn left into Gordon Rees St which leads directly to the cemetery. Lat -31.089267 Long 152.839392
Kempsey East Cemetery is administered by Kempsey Shire Council. For further cemetery information, contact Council at PO Box 3078, West Kempsey NSW 2440; phone 02 6566 3200; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
6 Jul 2018
31 May 2010
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index