Gloucester General Cemetery occupies a large sloping site at the end of Cemetery Road. The monumental section is laid out in denominational portions that include Anglican, Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian and Undenominational. The portions are clearly defined but no row or grave numbering is visible. Earliest inscriptions date from 1902. Almost all the headstones are intact and legible but lichen growth on some of the granite stones makes them difficult to decipher.
The modern lawn cemetery dates from around 1970 and includes four Columbarium walls as well as a small memorial garden dedicated to past Quota Club members. The whole cemetery is maintained in good condition by Gloucester Shire Council and town water and toilet facilities are provided on the site.
Digital images of all visible inscriptions were taken by Ray Cork during November 2009. His images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. Ray compiled that list from his images and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
From the town centre take Church St (Bucketts Way) south for approx 2km. Turn left into Cemetery Rd from where it is 1.1km to the cemetery.
Gloucester General Cemetery is administered by Gloucester Shire Council. For further information, contact Council at PO Box 11, Gloucester, NSW, 2422; phone 02 6538 5250; email: email@example.com
30 Nov 2009
17 Jan 2010
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index