The Rock Cemetery occupies a delightful site 2km from town. It is divided into Anglican, Catholic, Jewish, Lutheran, Methodist and Presbyterian monumental portions with inscriptions dating from 1902. A lawn cemetery, incorporating two columbarium walls, appears to have been established about 1993.
Details of the cemetery layout are graphically displayed at the cemetery entrance (see picture above). With the exception of several that have fallen and broken, the monuments are generally upright and in good order. However, lichen growth has made reading the inscriptions difficult on many of the older granite stones. The grounds feature well kept lawns and mature trees and are maintained in excellent condition by Lockhart Shire Council.
Dawn and John Smith have made digital images of all visible inscriptions at The Rock Cemetery and have also supplied details of a number of unmarked burials from Council records. The list of inscriptions for this cemetery has been compiled from their images and data and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
From the Olympic Highway at The Rock, opposite the railway station, head south on Scott Street for 0.7km and turn left (east) into Milne Road for a further 0.7km.
The Rock Cemetery is administered by the Lockhart Shire Council. For further information, contact Council at 69 Green Street (PO Box 21), Lockhart NSW 2656; phone: 02 6920 5305; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
28 Nov 2009
31 Oct 2009
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index