According to the signboard at Moggill Historic Cemetery, it was established about 1856. Very few of the original headstones now remain. This is attributed to vandalism and a "clean-up" of the site conducted by the Brisbane City Council that has been responsible for the cemetery since 1930.
In 1988, with funds from the Australian Bicentennial Authority, extensive renovation of the cemetery took place. A committee to plan and oversee the work was formed. Plaques were placed to record details of many of the unmarked graves and a monument erected in honour of the district's pioneers, many of whom were buried here. This creditable effort has prevented much of the local history being lost forever. A Descendants of Moggill Pioneers Group (President Don Greer) was formed and it meets several times per year.
Carol Parra visited the site in September 2008 and made digital images of every visible inscription. Her images have been used to compile the list of inscriptions for this cemetery that is believed to account for the greater proportion of known burials. The list was compiled with reference to the Queensland indices of births, deaths and marriages for additional information and Carol's images may be downloaded from that inscription list.
Bellbowrie, once a part of Moggill, is 16km south west of Brisbane. Moggill Historic Cemetery entrance is on the eastern side of Moggill Road, about 0.3km south of the Sugars Road intersection and is signposted.
Moggill Historic Cemetery is maintained by the Brisbane City Council. For further information, contact the Sexton at Toowong Cemetery, phone 07 3403 2587.
18 Aug 2009
30 Sep 2008
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index