Gordon Williams Memorial Lawn
The original monumental cemetery at Aberdare is divided into denominational portions and contains monuments dating from 1909. Many of the inscriptions record the accidental deaths of miners employed at coal mines in the district. The site now embraces a large lawn cemetery that includes columbaria and gardens for the location of ashes.
Ruth King visited the cemetery and photographed all visible inscriptions in August 2008. She found the grounds in excellent condition and well maintained by Cessnock City Council.
The list of inscriptions for this cemetery has been compiled from Ruth's images and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information. Ruth has also included some details from death and funeral announcements published in the local newspaper.
Aberdare is a coal mining area 3km east of Cessnock. The cemetery is a further 1km on towards Kearsley and is on the northern side of the road.
Aberdare General Cemetery is administered by the Cessnock City Council. For further information, contact Council at PO Box 152 Cessnock NSW 2325; phone 02 4993 4100; email: email@example.com
28 Nov 2008
9 Sep 2008
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index