Following the 1870s goldrush in the area, a township was surveyed in 1883 with Narooma township itself proclaimed in 1886. The General Cemetery was dedicated 23 Apr 1895.
Located on cliff tops above the ocean, the cemetery site has views along the coast and the landward side is enclosed within a forested native plantation. Historic parish and town maps show the cemetery divided into seven portions: General, Roman Catholic, Church of England (Anglican), Presbyterian, Wesleyan, Independent and Jewish. A columbarium was establish in 1980 and an adjacent war memorial was dedicated around the same time.
The cemetery is active (2018) and well maintained though portion signage is missing or badly weathered.
The cemetery is located approximately 3.5km by road south of the centre of Narooma, off Glasshouse Rocks Road.
Eurobodalla Shire Council
www.nswlrs.com.au/land_titles/historical_records_online/historical_maps_cancelled_editions for 'Map of the Village of Noorooma, Parishes of Noorooma & Wogonga, County of Dampier, Land District of Moruya, Eurobodalla Shire', various 1898-1930, NSW Land Registry Service
24 Apr 2018
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index