Braidwood Old General
Burials at the cemetery commenced in 1840. The sections reflect the main Christian religious denominations of the town Presbyterian, some Methodist, Anglican and Catholic. There are approximately 1300 memorials, 1440 graves and the remains of approximately 2100 people.
As with many Australian cemeteries of this age, graves and grounds show the ravages of time. Old and crumbling monuments contrast with some well preserved and maintained memorials.
Cemetery transcriptions can be found in 'Monumental inscriptions and burials: Braidwood Old General Cemetery and Braidwood Lawn Cemetery 1840-2008' compiled by Jan Grant and June Penny (The Heraldry and Genealogy Society of Canberra, Canberra, 2009).
The cemetery is located at about 600m south of the centre of town at the corner of Wallace and Cowper Streets. The Old General Cemetery is on the southern side of Cowper Street while the Lawn Cemetery is on the northern side.
16 Jul 2017
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index