Cooranbong Catholic Cemetery
Address: Martinsville Road, Cooranbong 2265 NSW
Cooranbong Catholic Cemetery is located on a substantial area behind the Church of St Patrick and St Brigid. According to the information on its signboard, the earliest burial took place in 1862, one year after the first church building was dedicated on this site. The present church dates from 1906.
The cemetery is maintained in neat and tidy condition and inscriptions extant date from 1866. The headstones are mostly upright and legible. An attractive columbarium has recently been added, apparently coming into use in 2006.
Paul Fitzgerald visited and photographed the cemetery in November 2009. He prepared the list of all inscriptions for this cemetery from his images and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information. We are also indebted to Barry Sylvester, who earlier supplied images of a number of his family's graves at Sts Patrick and Brigid cemetery with some biographical information about them.
How to find it
Cooranbong Catholic Cemetery and the church of St Patrick and St Brigid is on the corner of Martinsville and Baber Roads, close to Freemans Drive at Cooranbong.
Cooranbong is within the Catholic Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle. For further information, contact the Diocesan Office, 841 Hunter Street, Newcastle West NSW 2302;
phone: 02 4979 1100
The number of inscriptions for this cemetery is 367
The listing was last updated on 2009-12-23
The listing was complete as at 2009-11-15
Search for a specific family name in all cemeteries.