Georges Plains Cemetery
Address: St Johns Road, Georges Plains 2795 NSW
Georges Plains Cemetery was originally an Anglican cemetery located in the grounds of the long-closed St John's Anglican Church at Georges Plains. The cemetery was subdivided from the church in 1996 and the cemetery portion came into the possession of the former Evans Shire Council. It has now passed onto the Bathurst Regional Council.
Clive Hamer, writing about the church, says, "St John's Anglican Church is an architectural gem and should be restored. It was designed by Edward Gell (who also designed, inter alia, SS Michael's and George's Cathedral, Bathurst; the Church of England, Carcoar; "Bathanpton" (Rutherford's homestead on Blayney Rd). It was built in 1867 by Thomas Burns, Orange, in grey stone with iron roof capped with cast iron decorations. It was opened in 1868.
"Sadly, the interior features have been removed: the reredos, made of encaustic tiles by Lyon and Cottier, Sydney, showed the Apostles' Cred, Lord's Prayer, Ten Commandments and Beatitudes, were erected by parishioners in memory of Joseph Smith of "Mildura", who was the church's largest benefactor. Stained glass windows, altar cross, pulpit and bishop's chair were given by the Callaghan family in memory of their parents, Phillip and Jane Callaghan. One window represented the Madonna and Child; the second depicted St John."
James Dietrich visited the cemetery and photographed every visible inscription in March 2007. Amongst the long grass, he found inscriptions dating from 1868. James' images may be downloaded from the list of all inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled with reference to NSW BDM indexes and the AWM World War 1 Nominal Roll for additional information.
How to find it
Georges Plains is a village about 14km south of Bathurst. From Bathurst head south along Vale Road through Perthville and continue along Rockley Street to Georges Plains. Turn right into St Johns Road from Rockley Street just before the railway crossing.
Georges Plains Cemetery is administered by the Bathurst Regional Council. For further information, contact Council at PMB 17, Bathurst NSW 2795; phone 02 6333 6111; email: email@example.com
The number of inscriptions for this cemetery is 118
The listing was last updated on 2009-02-16
The listing was complete as at 2007-03-08
Search for a specific family name in all cemeteries.